I follow a great group of runners on Twitter by following the hashtag #runchat. If you’re a runner and you’re on Twitter, I totally recommend putting that in your search bar. They have hour-long chat sessions every other Sunday and the next one is Feb. 26.
One #runchat challenge this week is to post the Top Ten Reasons Why You Love Running. I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to running, but I have grown to love it. So, here are my reasons for my love of running:
- It gives me time just to myself. I love running outside on a gorgeous day by myself because it’s just me and my music and I decide where I go, how far I go, and how hard I run.
- I know every step I take running I become healthier for it.
- It’s unexpected of me. I used to hate running…no seriously, even when I played volleyball in high school, I’d figure out a way to shorten my route on our three-mile conditioning runs in the summer. I even threw shot put and discus on the track team because the throwers didn’t run. Now, as an adult, I love to run.
- It’s always a challenge. I like challenges, and running has become the ultimate challenge for me because I have had a lot to overcome–asthma, injuries, etc.
- I feel victorious. To go along with #4, I love the feeling of accomplishment I get when I complete a run. When I run to the top of a long, tall hill, I actually applaud myself for making it up that hill and keep going. Little victories keep us going.
- The sense of excitement I feel preparing for a race. Now, so far I’ve only competed in 5Ks (my first half marathon is in April), but I love how I feel getting ready for a race and when you line up and wait for the shotgun to signal your start.
- It’s flexible. A running workout can last as long or as short as you want it, and you can just about do it anywhere. Some times I try to squeeze in a two mile run after work before I have to be elsewhere (agility classes, volleyball courts, etc.) and there’s nothing better than to push myself for two miles outside when I have a tight schedule–it’s relaxing to me!
- Gotta love the music. I love music, and this gives me a reason to put the earbuds in and just rock it out to my own collection without having to make others happy with what I’m listening to.
- The clothes. I’ve discovered a love of workout clothes thanks to running and the need to have lightweight, breathable, but fashionable clothing. Now if only I could find cute running shoes in my size and that fits my needs!
- I feel a little less guilty to have that handful of M&M’s in the office after a good four mile run before work. Though I’m still trying to figure out a balance eating plan that helps satisfy all the hunger pangs I tend have on my running days.
Do you love running? Or maybe there’s an activity you love. If so, please share your reasons for your love?