Half Marathon #3 Training Update: Noblesville Mini Marathon

**Happy Memorial Day! I hope you take the time to remember why we have this long holiday weekend–thank you to the men and women who served, or are currently serving, our country.**

The countdown is on for my third half marathon, and I am not very confident that I’ll be able to tackle the 13.1 miles at my best. I haven’t been able to train as consistently as I would have liked. Granted I went into this training intentionally not running as much as I have in races past. I wanted to see if not running as much and doing more cross-training (CrossFit) would help me overcome the usual issues of overuse injuries that I’ve had previously. However, life and time got away from me and I couldn’t spend as many Saturday mornings running as I would have liked. But, I’m still going to give it my all!

After being sick with exhaustion/walking pneumonia in April, I tackled 8 miles with a couple of running group friends. The first four miles felt strong, but the last four miles were tough as my lungs weren’t completely recovered. As funny as it sounds, though, I think that run helped me recover a lot faster, getting a lot of the junk out of my lungs that had been bothering me.

The next week I had an agility trial over the weekend, so I met the Striders for a run on Friday, going 6.5 miles rather than the scheduled 9, because that was all I had time for. I figured that was better than no miles at all!

Then this weekend… Thursday I didn’t go to CrossFit in the morning, so I decided to run 4 miles in my neighborhood after work, testing out how I handled the heat (it was 84*). I completed 4 miles in 38:38 (9:37 avg)…I really need to work on my pacing, though!

Friday M and I traveled up to my parents’ for the long weekend. At the last minute I registered for the Noblesville Mini Marathon 10K Thursday night because I knew that I needed the training miles, and I’d be more apt to get my 9+ miles in if I was able to run with someone or in a race. I had played with the idea of doing the mini marathon and just not push myself to run the whole 13 miles, but I decided that wasn’t smart and I didn’t want to spend the extra money for that. So I registered for the 10K race and planned to run the 5K route after I finish the 10K.

This was the first year for the Noblesville Mini, so of course this race had a lot to improve on. The organization wasn’t the best–there were no marked starting areas for the different races, just pace corrals for the mini, and verbal instructions for the 10K racers to line up after the Mini runners, the 5K racers after the 10K, and the one-milers after the 5K. They wanted each race to take off 10 minutes apart, but that didn’t work very well. I lined up after a large crowd of runners, expecting to be in the 10K group. When the cannon blasted to start the race (no countdown, so it was a complete shock to us all), everyone just started running. After I crossed the start someone was yelling that only the Mini runners should be going right then. I pulled off to the side, then decided that was stupid because I had already started my time–that was a wasted 30 seconds. So off I went.

The race threaded through some neighborhoods and on some running trails–there were about 800 runners, so for a small race, this was OK but if the race gets any bigger, they might have to come up with a new plan. It was a concern how cars were allowed to drive along and behind us in the neighborhood–I was constantly yelling “Car back!” to my fellow runners to warn them to move over to the side. We had water stops every mile, and were told there’d be gel fuel in two spots (I never saw those). I never saw the turn-around point for the 5K race, which was a big problem for those running that race for time. Thankfully there was someone at the 10K turn-around to let me know it was time to turn. (I had thought the race was a loop, but apparently it changed to be an out-and-back after they sent the course map, so i’m glad they had someone tell me to turn around.)

I finished the full 10K without walking–score! I felt strong, and after I crossed the finish, I grabbed a couple of things from the race (banana, Chocola, water), dropped them off with my sister and husband, then set out to run three more miles. By this time I was starting to feel dehydrated–I know being home I wouldn’t have fueled as good as I should have. After two miles I walked a little to loosen my hips.

My 10K time (according to me) was 59:13–pretty awesome! Though my official chip time was: 1:00:28

Here were my splits from my 9+ mile run:

Mile 1: 9:26
Mile 2: 9:33
Mile 3: 9:37
Mile 4: 9:57
Mile 5: 9:33
Mile 6: 9:50
Mile 7: 9:43
Mile 8: 10:02
Mile 9: 10:19 <– walked a little
9.14 miles in 1:26:30


It was a beautiful morning for a run! The race was sponsored by a local Chevrolet dealership, so of course my favorite car, a Corvette, was at the finish line. The organization still had a lot to be desired, but not too bad for a first-time race. (The 1+ mile walk to the starting line was a nice warm-up, but I know my sister didn’t like it wearing flip flops haha)


The next two weeks will be so hard for me to get decent runs in. I have agility trials the next two weekends, which will make things harder to spend 2 hours running, not to mention meeting my running group. The week before the race I’ll be back in Indiana not only competing in the trial, but helping to organize it, so I have long days ahead of me. To make up for it, I’m going to try to get in some runs throughout the week, just to get time on my legs.

So I’m already thinking the Bourbon Derby Half Marathon will be a practice in just finishing…on my own two feet. 🙂

Your turn: How did you spend your Memorial weekend?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s