I’m a mac & cheese kid. I’ll admit it–I love the stuff! I grew up on the blue boxed mac & cheese, but I’ve come to consider myself a mac & cheese aficionado. I even made sure we had some real yummy mac & cheese at our wedding, not just generic stuff.
Now that I’m a grown up, I’ve started to appreciate the flexibility that mac & cheese, as a dish, has. I’ve made it with spaghetti squash, quinoa, and whole wheat noodles. I even threw together a quick recipe one night, when all I was craving was mac & cheese, with some pretty healthy components.
Cheesy Whole Wheat Mac & Cheese W/Veggies
1 cup whole wheat macaroni noodles
Fat free milk
Shredded cheese (I used a colby jack mixture)
Any green veggies (at least one cup’s worth, this time I used leftover broccoli)
Sprinkle of bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare a small baking dish (8×8) with some cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni noodles in a sauce pan of water per box instructions. Drain.
- In the saucepan, combine the noodles with the cottage cheese, shredded cheese, parmesan cheese, and spices to taste–if you like it cheesy, add lots, if you like some more flavor to your dish, add to taste.
- Pour in your green veggies and combine.
- Pour the mixture into your baking dish. I sprinkled a little extra parmesan cheese on top and then added some bread crumbs for a little more crunch.
- Bake 10-15 minutes (until the cheese is melted and the top is golden).
I’m sorry I don’t have exact measurements–a lot of times when I’m just throwing something together, I don’t measure. Plus I think a lot of times things depend on your taste buds–maybe you like a lot of garlic in your dishes, or not so much pepper. It’s up to you!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy mac & cheese?
Do you add veggies to your noodle dishes?
- Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese (pennhaven.wordpress.com)
- Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese Bites Recipe (untrainedhousewife.com)