Do you ever just get this hankerin’ to do something? Lately, I’ve been itchin’ to bake. I love baking. But, the problem is I love eating what I bake, which then leads to overeating and then me feeling gluttonous and bad about myself…. You get the picture. So I’ve been on the hunt for healthy cookie recipes that can satisfy my baking urge and that sweet craving, without too much sweetness (no sugar added!).
Thanks to Pinterest I found a couple new recipes, and I had the opportunity to try them for some friends when they invited us over for dinner Sunday night. I’ll share the second recipe in a separate post later this week.
This first recipe was just a photo with the ingredients, no link to a site or anything. So I looked at the ingredients and just went with it for what I had. Since I wanted to make two different recipes that called for bananas, and I only had 3 bananas left, I divided them in half, but here’s the whole recipe:
Oatmeal Raisin Banana Cookies
3 mashed (ripe) bananas
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups oats
1/2 cup raisons (I might try dried cranberries next time for something different)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (though I added a few shakes more to the batter)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mash the bananas to a puree, then add the applesauce, oats, vanilla and cinnamon. When the batter is all combined, add your raisons.
- Place spoonfuls of the batter onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for about 5 minutes.
The original recipe also called for 1/4 cup of almond milk. While I had set aside some skim milk (no almond milk in the house), I forgot to use it. The batter was pretty wet without the milk, so I don’t know how that would change the texture/flavor of the cookies. Next time I might try them with the milk, but I didn’t notice anything missing–they’re still pretty darn good! I might add some more spices to the recipe next time, too (like nutmeg or all spice).
Give these a try and let me know what you think!
- OMG My Husband Baked: Healthy Banana Cookies (planetmarsz.wordpress.com)
- Banana Oatmeal cookies (breeeeeee.wordpress.com)